Chapter 336

Jenny was moved to a private room after she rested for a few minutes and the doctors finished with everything. Then the picture taking started, all of us with Jenny and the babies and then the grandparents holding the babies and all of us holding the babies.

Jake and Mindy were both beaming as they had their pictures taken holding the boys. Jake was often wiping tears.

Then it was time to feed them – we video-taped the first feeding. Some babies have trouble getting the nipple latch, but not those two boys. I even got pictures of both boys nursing at the same time. That was one of the pictures that we sent to the office and to the governor.

Jenny had plenty of help; both mom-moms’ decided they were going to stay with Jenny. Because of having twins, the hospital was going to keep Jenny two days instead of the new insurance company normal of one day.

While the mom’s were working out the schedule of when they would trade off being in the room, Jenny gave one of those big eye rolls at the ceiling. It was all we could do not to breakout in laughter including the grand-pops.

I stepped over to Jenny and whispered, “You know we girls were going to stay with you, don’t you?”

“Yes, but with the storm you all have so much to do – besides they would be hurt if I said no. You are going to get to spend plenty time with me when I get home. I have 12 weeks of maternity leave,” Jenny replied.

Jake and Mindy asked me to step out to the hall. Mindy was the one to start the private conversation. “I’m sure you know that Jake and I want kids and that I have no eggs. We were wondering if you would object to us asking Jenny if she would donate some eggs once she has recovered so we can try to have a child of our own.”

“I have no objection and I pretty sure she would say yes,” I replied. Both of them stepped forward and gave me a double hug.

I went back into Jenny’s room to say goodbye. It was hugs and kisses from us girls and how happy we were. I told Jenny repeatedly how much I loved her and how beautiful our babies were. Most of all that I would be back tonight to say good night.

The roads were much better but still one lane in places with snow in huge piles. The snow had stopped not long after we had arrived at the hospital and now there were snow plows everywhere. We were back at the airport in an hour.

We went to Morton Field because that is where the biggest challenges were. There was a 200 million dollar C17 in front of terminal, Lorrie and I both wanted to know why.

I was not concerned about the F16s after thinking about them. The key was that they went directly into the agency hangar. They had either been somewhere special or being outfitted to go on a special mission somewhere.

The other challenge was the 757 Atlantic 709 and how soon it could be on its merry way.

The girls and I arrived at the right time. The FAA engineers and FAA officials were celebrating the success of the runway deicing system. The part of the airport the system was on had been usable throughout the storm.

An unexpected side benefit was the aircraft setting on the tarmac under the hot water spray were void of snow as well. All those brilliant minds had forgotten that heat rises. Atlantic 709 and the C17 could take off without needing any snow or ice removal.

The flip side was we had four 30,000 gallon propane tanks that were now at 50% full. The system had used 60 thousand gallons. With quantity buying we had paid eighty one cents a gallon.

For a cost of $49,000 to run the system 30 hours, granted we may have saved money by allowing the engineers to play more with the settings. But, and it was an important but, Atlantic 709 was on the ground safe and sound in part because Lorrie gave the order to heat it up.

The other runway tarmac in front of the mega hangar was kept clear by traditional methods and use of the snow melting machines. Those machines used butane that was $1.27 a gallon.

We had a 10,000 gallon tank that was now also 50% full. The melting machines could be operated on either propane or butane by changing the orifices, but butane burned substantially hotter per gallon. More bang for the buck.

Robbie had been running both machines along with plows and two front end loaders. Eight hours after the snow fall ended both runways were fully functional.

Chief Grimes had been in the parking lot as the last of the snow was going through the machine. When he came inside, “Now that is a snow eating machine. I have never seen anything like that. Can I take them to C-ville when you are finished? I came to see if you needed anything else to care for the passengers.”

“I’m not sure yet; the pilot is on a call to his controllers in New York. If they can get a landing slot they will be on their way. All the passengers are either here or on their way here. Can you hang around for a few minutes until we sort it out?” I replied based on a quick conversation with Carson.

When the conversation was done Atlantic 709 had a landing slot for 10 PM tonight. It would take three times longer to load the baggage and passengers than the flight would.

The pilot and crew had their work cut out for them. The sad part – based on the news I saw – was when the passengers arrived at Kennedy they were still in for a long wait in the terminal if they were connecting to another flight. It would be two or three more days before anything looked close to normal.

Lorrie assigned several mechanics to help load the baggage and a couple of clerks to help the crew get everything organized.

At least Atlantic had emailed Carson a passenger list to cross check everyone getting on the plane.

Our refueling crew added another two thousand gallons of jet A to each main tank.

Marcy was in Lorrie’s office working feverishly on the accounting end to bill Atlantic for everything. I stepped in for a minute.

“Don’t forget landing fees. You may have to check BWI to come up with a number. Oh, add room charges for the Horsey house and the Crash pad on to the hotel side of the bill, plus however many meals,” I said.

Marcy looked at me with a scowl but that quickly changed. I could almost see the dollar signs in her eyes.

The next order of business was to find out why the C17 was sitting on the tarmac. I went looking for pilots or crew and found none.

Then I went out to the C17 to look it over for any information. The thing that struck me as odd was there were no US markings, no numbers other than the serial number, and no flags to add to the mystery.

While I was looking it over for any information, one of the gators with a heated cab stopped by, “Boss, congratulations – those are two fine looking little boys. You girls really look happy. Jenny was beaming even though I know she had to be tired. Do you want to take a ride around the Airport and see if you are satisfied with the snow removal?” Robbie asked.

Robbie drove me around the hangars, tarmacs, access roads and back to the fuel farm and propane farm.

“Robbie, you and your guys did a great job. I am really pleased with it. Now I want you to critique the snow event. I want to know what we as management could have done to make your job easier, whether it be more equipment, different equipment, more manpower,” I said.

“The next question I have for you is how long would it take to drive the snow machines into C-ville?” I asked.

“They have a road speed of about 20 miles an hour. C-ville is 6 miles away – twenty minutes to a half hour max,” Robbie replied.

“Would you have six men extra tomorrow who could take them to town and run them for a day as donation to the fire dept for all their help?”

“I should be able to do that,” Robbie replied.

“The chief is in the terminal. Go find him and tell him what needs to happen for it to work,” I replied.

Robbie dropped me back off by the C17. There was still no one to be seen that I thought would be associated with the aircraft. The next step was to go to the tower. Someone up there should have logged the C17 in when it landed and made some arrangements with the crew, especially when it came in during the storm.

Before I made the walk to and up the tower, I watched the reloading of all the baggage back on Atlantic 709. That led to another thought – I need to remind Marcy of labor charges for baggage handling. There were four of our guys loading the baggage and there had been just as many when it was unloaded. That was part of the ticket pricing and we sold no tickets.

As I was walking to Lorrie’s office I met Hanna and her camera man in the main lobby. She was holding one of the pictures of all of us with Jenny and the babies. Hanna gave me a big hug and congratulations, “Give that hug to Jenny when you go back over there tonight.”

“May I add this picture and information to the newscast tonight?” she asked. Then she added. “I’m going to do a live broadcast of 709 leaving. The last few days have been the best ever for the station. The rescue piece is being requested by a lot of other stations,”

“If you let any other stations run it, I want a list of them,” I replied. “Oh – by the way – the snow melting machines are going to C-ville tomorrow. We are donating their services for a day if the details can be worked out. That is if you want another public interest story.”

Edit by Alfmeister
Proof read by Bob W.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s