Chapter 422

Just before I left KCC, Adam called to say they were an hour away from Entebbe. I called Ambassador Dansky.

“I have a plane landing at Entebbe in an hour. I chose Entebbe as a central location to stage Blackhawks and equipment. We have a good sized hangar there. We are also going to use it to store deliveries for Nimule.”

“The plan is to unload the plane and then for it to fly back to Angola. The pilot has some things for you. If you can meet the plane that would be great; the pilot’s name is Adam. I know it is not much notice. One of our planes lost an engine in Angola so this was a change-up flight. The plane has our JBG decals on it.”

“You have a hangar there? I would like to talk to you about using it at times, I will save that for another conversation,” Ambassador Dansky replied.

“Yes, General Aviation hangar number 17,” I replied.

He agreed to meet the plane and I left for the office and the meeting tonight. I was expecting a lot of information tonight with the Sikorsky mechanics and everything else.

Caleb Brown – my Director of security at Kampala – had inspected the hangar for Lorrie and Marcy. He had sent pictures of the exterior and interior of the hanger because I had decided to extend the lease to a full year.

The hangar had office space and a large area that was a parts and shop area that was walled off from the main hanger. It could be converted into a bunk area if I ever need it to be for any reason.

Caleb was going to do routine security inspections and be responsible for the hangar.

The meeting got off to a quick start by Robbie and Lorrie. They started with confirmation that the C5 was safely on the ground and in the process of being unloaded. Caleb was there to open the hangar for the crew.

Robbie was still going to make the 6 choppers this week and we still had 6 ready to be delivered somewhere. Now with the engine fiasco in Angola, one flight was going to have to be dedicated to moving six Suburbans to Kampala with the C130s making single deliveries of them.

There was another secret flight for the agency as soon as the C5 was back from Africa. It would be doubtful if the C5 was able to do any more flights this week, with the need of rest for the crew and inspections after more than 40 continuous flight hours.

Jason reported that all the positions for the embassy security expansion had been filled. The last of the new hires were scheduled to go through the training the first week of October and be ready to go in the field by the end of October.

We had been blessed with getting good people on board. Of the more than 1100 men and ladies hired, only 10 had washed out or quit. Then again, all of them were ex-military and Jason only hired the ones with impeccable records.

The ones that were not close enough to come to the office to be interviewed did a SVOL interview from the nearest MAAR site.

In most cases we had been able to place the new hires in one of the top three locations they chose. With the money they were going to be paid for hazard duty, a lot of them said ‘I will go anywhere you need me.’

Lorrie reported that almost all of the lots in the developments Marcy had bought were now spoken for. On another property issue, Lorrie and Jenny confirmed that we were now the owners of the 1100 acre gun club. The county transferred all the permits and licenses to JBG, including a building permit for a larger armored vault like the one we had at Morton Field.

It made no sense to have hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition delivered to Morton and then carry it a thousand rounds at a time to the gun club everyday for the training.

The anti-gun folks in the development adjacent to the gun club had filed a complaint and lawsuit with the county about the noise and possible lead contamination to ground water from the gun club just two days after the news hit the papers.

The transfers from the gun club included all three of their federal firearms licenses. One was a license to sell ammo, another was to sell guns and the third was to sell machine guns.

With the explosives license and manufacturing license and our existing FFL, JBG had our weapons needs covered. A big plus was that Marcy’s contracting for low bid on ammunition meant that the gun club members would be getting ammo as much as 50% cheaper than they were currently paying.

The machine gun license was going to be benched; I had no intention of selling machine guns to anyone. On the other hand, the retail gun license would take care of one growing problem in the armory at Morton.

There was a growing storage rack of 9 mm, 380, and .45 caliber semi automatic Smith & Wesson, Beretta, and Glock pistols that were either in good shape or nearly new that needed to be disposed of.

I had chosen 40 caliber Glock pistols as JBG standard issue sidearm to eliminate having to supply so many different ammos in the field. As all the former Black Water employees went through our training, their weapons were changed to the 40 cal Glocks. There were almost a thousand of them in the armory.

I did not want anyone at Morton to have to deal with retail sales of the guns. In Maryland retail sales of pistols was a bitch. The new laws required a buyer to have a HQL license just to buy a handgun of any kind plus a background check, seven day waiting period and a list of other things.

The gun club had several people that were familiar with all the rules and regulations along with the time to see it through, because they did it every day.

Some of the former Black Water employees had asked about buying the side-arm they had been carrying for personal use. Jamie had a list of those individuals. I had no objections to that. The rest would be sold one at a time through the gun club.

The meeting was over and I was on my way to the EIT office when I received a call.

“You sent so much; I never expected that and I will never use that much,” Ambassador Dansky said.

“I sent you many different brands and kinds for you to sample over time. I am sure that you can find good use for any excess to your needs,” I replied.

“Yes, I am sure I can. I will carry some for my friends to sample at the Friday night galas,” he replied.

“A couple of those are sipping whiskeys,” I said.

“OK, thanks for the warning, I will have someone do some research,” he replied.

We were getting ready to leave for the house when Robert stopped me in the hall. “I need to see you and Ching Lee in my office.”

Edit by Alfmeister

Proof read by Bob W.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s