Chapter 246

The week passed fast – before I knew it, it was Friday morning already. Jenny and I went to her doctor again and sat in the waiting room for two hours. Lisa had been dropping hints about wanting to come with her but Jenny said, “No way. I was twenty before she ever let me see the doctor alone.”

There were more tests and another sonogram. Then there was the discussion about eating and exercise. Even with all her eating and carrying twins, Jenny was still doing well with her weight.

Then to our shock, Dr. Peterson asked if we had picked out baby names yet. No, we had not even thought about it; just too early to do that. Then she asked how Jenny’s friends were reacting to her being pregnant. I almost choked at that moment, but I still listened very closely to Jenny’s answer to that one. “Everyone was very supportive,” Jenny replied.

Dr. Peterson asked if there were any questions. I didn’t have the heart to say that her sexual appetites were getting out of hand. If I had a chance, I’d get Dr. Peterson a lone for a second and would ask her about this little problem we are having at night.

Before we left, for our personal survival, we made sure that we had the pictures of the sonogram to take back with us to the gym again.

We made good time driving back to the gym. It was almost time for lunch. Moments after arriving, Cindy and Mark returned from their three days adventure of doing my security audits. My plan was to send them in different directions. As a result, they had completed seven of the eight colleges. For their efforts, I was handed folders of observations, suggestions and various requests to look over.

It was so strange walking into the office. Jenny and I were the only two bosses that would be working here for several days. The rest of my mates and a dozen of the clerks were scattered all over the east coast doing the rape prevention seminars and spot inspections at MAAR sites. They were to be home Saturday evening. Ten of the eighty were in the completed file.

Monday the seven of us – Cindy, Mark, Jenny, Jason and Lorrie, Marcy and I – were going to do the eighth at Rochester. We had a 10 AM meeting with Captain Peters, the chief of police for Rochester and the Mayor from City Hall, along with the head of roads and the sanitation department.

I was determined – one way or the other – to end the complaints about the security fence separating the college from the low rent development next door. The complaints were coming from every direction; from both the city and state, even the college grounds keeping department.

Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning, after taking a closer look at the employees we hired for Rochester State College, I remembered that they were mostly made up of X- military and X- police and should have all the qualification to meet local law enforcement. With a bit of doing, I bet Jenny and her corporate lawyers could put together a packet to present at the meeting for our request to turn the Rochester Campus Security department into a Police Force instead.

I can’t believe the time is flying by so fast, one more week left and September will be over. Although we had nightly updates to keep me up to speed about the airport, Jenny and I decided to go see how things were going for ourselves. It had been over a week since we were at to the construction site.

What a change I noticed as we drove up in time to see the fourth pour of the P loop going down on the NE/SW runway. Each loop took two pours, the same as the runway.

Just like the runways, they needed to be 100 feet wide, so a plane could make the turn without the main gear tracking off into the soft dirt or grass. Tony could only do one pour at a time on the end of each runway. The concrete mix needed time to set up because one end of the roadway machine was over-hung on the previous pour on something that wide.

As we stepped out of the Suburban, Tony handed Jenny and I both hard hats and safety glasses. First on the tour was to see the aftermath of the P loop pour. It was so cool, we saw what was happening to the wet concrete. There was a machine in the process of smoothing it. Tony explained the process as we watched it happen. As the machine was inching ahead it leveled the mounds of concrete that was covering rebar in front of it. That concrete was dumped there by the crane and elevator from the mix trucks.

Tony walked us away so we could talk without shouting. “Next week in between pouring the loops on the other runway, we are going to start pouring the cross taxi-ways between the runways. The welders and framers have finished the first set of rebar on the loops and are starting cross ways today. All these little pours are going to go fast now,” he replied.

He brought us over to where our hangar was being assembled and introduced us to the foreman on that job. “We are on schedule to have both of them covered and all assembled by the first. Then the final assembly group can finish out the interior, lighting and wiring,” the foreman said.

From there we went over to the terminal that was a short drive. Our once little terminal was now huge with all the extras the agency had paid for. I commented that, “Bob’s Contracting must have hired every carpenter and bricklayer in the county he could find. There are men everywhere doing something.”

Tony replied, “Jones & Jones International is the biggest employer in the county, if this were all under one company group”.

The airport tower was beside the terminal and going up fast. It must have been prefabricated using standard blueprints. The exterior was already covered over and fabricators were installing the exterior observation deck. It was a lot taller and bigger around than I had imagined, but then I had never been this close to one.

We made our way over to the agency’s hangar to look at the progress on it. The progress was the same as on ours; it was an exact duplicate. The final difference was that the agency was going to have some of the side hangars made into engineering and office space.

It was while we were looking at this hangar – without anyone near us – Tony said, “This group of contractors are not happy camper.”

“Why? What is going on?” I asked. “Have we done something to them?”

“No, not us,” he replied. “When they are finished here they were to go to Saudi Arabia to build a group of hangars for the Saudi Air Force. With the announcement that Iran has the bomb the Saudi Ministers cancelled the project and Haliburn International is going to build hardened blast-resistant hangars instead.”

“The 8 they were to assemble over there are just like these. They are the widest unsupported center hangars available. The difference between them and this one is they are three times as deep with doors at both ends and a center partition, and the same side hangars on both sides. The first one is sitting on a lot at Sparrows Point Marine Terminal waiting to be loaded on a freighter – that has been cancelled,” Tony said.

“The only thing that saved the company from going under and losing a ton of money is that the Saudis pre-paid 2/3 of the hangar cost and the freighter with a no-refund clause in the contract,” Tony said.

“The hangars are useless to most airports. They are not tall enough for the big commercial jetliners to use for maintenance. They are great for fighters, private jets and small to midsize turbine planes. There are no major airports around with space to use the hangars. It is over four hundred eighty thousand square feet under one roof, or 11 acres,” Tony said. “They will probably scrap it.”

“I doubt that we will ever need anything like that even though we have the land for it, but then it would be one heck of an indoor training facility and we still haven’t solved the rental car acquisition and disposal problem. Second thought, maybe the agency could use some of them here, I will ask Eric later. How much was the completed package and how much have the Saudis paid?” I wondered out loud.

“The Saudis paid 20 million up front – 15 million for the hangar plus 5 million for the freighter. No labor payment until it was finished,” Tony replied.

“WOW!” I replied. “That is more than we are spending on this whole project.”

“Just out of curiosity, haggle with them – see just how bad they want three months work assembling it here. It sounds to me like the Saudi’s have completely paid for the thing and they really have money left over from the freight. They can trash it and get scrap value or have three months work,” I said.

Edit by Alfmeister
Proof read by Joe H.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s